Thursday, July 15, 2010

God Bless America?

In my search for nerd series to watch I decided to check out Warehouse 13 and while I do like the idea and it has grown on me there's something that still bothers me.  I think the series could be much better if the agents weren't a part of the US Secret Service... Yes I know it's an American channel and actors and blah blah blah.  And I am an American citizen so it's not a hate thing.  So why does this bother me?

I don't have a problem with the agents coming from an American organization but the Secret Service?  The characters are supposed to be these amazing agents and I'm just not sure if the SS (gonna abbreviate now) is the place to find them.  The definition I found here doesn't mention that those agents protect the general public or the world at large.  The only reference to the show's premise is that they protect against forgeries and counterfeiters... of American securities...

If you haven't seen the show it revolves around the aforementioned agents finding these "artifacts" that have different properties, supernatural of course.  Some of the ideas are pretty damn cool and I have no doubt that a portion of it has some historical accuracy (obviously not much - it is TV after all).  And then they put said "artifact" into this giant top secret warehouse.  A rag tag team of characters and mysterious happenings internally.  I do enjoy it... except for that blasted US SS aspect.

Dunno - perhaps it's the over proliferation of the American government agencies.  We will always need to have some sort of a government agency to make these types of shows work.  But does it have to be the people who are protecting the president?  America - you are simply not that important.  I would really hope that if anything in that show every becomes reality that it's not the president's bodyguards protecting us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment