Saturday, July 17, 2010

Food Geek #1

I'm listening to the Geek A Week podcast with Adam Savage of Mythbusters while trying to come up with something to write here.  (Mum was in town so missed a day or so)  He mentions that he's so happy to be able to show how enthusiastic he is about his various Mythbuster's projects.  Thinking about things that I am enthusiastic about I come up with food.  Ohhh yeah food.  I'm going to share some of my geeky food moments... *Woah he just mentioned making a killer omelet on the podcast... weird* 

Green Curry & Coconut Milk Mashed Potatoes
 - I decided to give these a shot since I've had buttermilk in potatoes before so coconut milk should work as well.  Previous forays into marinating with green curry and coconut milk were extremely successful so I knew it was possible to take that mix further.  I personally prefer chunkier potatoes so I knew I wanted to add green onions to them.  Then thought... cilantro works with the curry and milk so it should work here!  And again success.  My sister has since told me that it's probably her favourite thing I've ever made her.  And I've made her a lot of impressive food stuffs.

Sandwiches
 - I make kick-ass sandwiches.  I know I do.  I've been told many times.  Combine that with sandwich making duties in previous jobs I am awesome at the logistics of building them.  For example I just finished one with shrimp, avocado and tomato.  Nom Nom  Breakfast sandwiches are also on my list of accomplished creations.  Four or five years later an old roomie's booty call still comments that he wants one for the next days hangover.  And surprise surprise I am incredibly anal about the construction of these things.  There's a certain way they should be built and I employ strict rules for myself.

Short Ribs
 - Love love love ribs... of any sort.  I know I make some great slow cooked pork ribs in the oven but I'm definitely impressed with the success of my Asiany short ribs in a crock pot.  Essential "sauce" ingredients include: garlic, ponzu sauce, rice vinegar, Maui ribs sauce.  Leave them in there for as long as possible while attempting to take the fat (mmmm flavour but oh so.. fat) off the top and booyah!  Meaty, saucy goodness.

Salads
 - I think that good salad making goes hand in hand with sandwich making.  Both can contain a wide range of ingredients, a particular method of construction and the knack of knowing what tastes well together.  As with the sandwiches I love using avocado and shrimp.  Every salad of mine should have tomatoes as well.  I unfortunately tend to use store bought dressings since I don't use enough yogurt or sour cream to have it around for creamier dressings.  I should really start making my own as I know I can make great dressings/marinades/dips.

Ok well I've gone through three Geek A Week podcasts over the last couple hours and hearing just how awesome some of my favourite geeks are has made me giddy!  Time to get out and enjoy some sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment