Monday, July 19, 2010

What once was is no more

I remember it being only a few years ago that I considered the 'indie kids" as folks just following the herd.  Claiming to like music that no longer represented its moniker.  "Indie".  "Indie" is short for independent.  Independent means alone, without help.  Once upon a time "Indie" was very truly independent in the sense that it couldn't count on radio play except for maybe some obscure college stations.  It was also a lot tougher to record your own albums without the home computer software that's now available.  A solid fan base by touring was the best way to make yourself known.  Besides during those times how many of those bands wanted to be successful, get that recording contract.  That's the complete opposite of Independent Label.

Now "indie" is a style of music, a genre.  Just about anyone can release an album with the right equipment, though it will take a lot of hard work and money to get started.  Still it's possible.  You no longer have to get into a studio to record music.  And since it is so much easier independently recorded albums do receive radio play - considering the fact so many bands now have their own labels.

So these Douchebag Indie Kids (DIK) claim to be into a way that music is produced but in reality they are into a style of music.  A genre.  Like the goth folks who resist conformity by dressing in all black, all of them.  Different topic, different time.  I dunno I guess it just bugs me a bit.  And even more so lately as I have come to the realization that I too like "indie" music.

Sigh... I want to shake my head as I write that and in fact I did.  I also shake my head at the fact that I came across this realization when I started hearing the songs I've been listening to in commercials or on retarded shows like 90210.  (Don't ask)  I was happy to hear Tom's perspective on it. 

"Indie is now what Alternative was in the 90's."

So true - and since I classified my tastes as "Alternative" during that time it would only stand to reason that "Indie" is indeed my preferred genre.

I still don't like skinny jeans on guys I will never be a DIK

No comments:

Post a Comment