Saturday, July 24, 2010

Vow #1

Movies have always been one of my favourite things.  Somewhere along the way I really stopped going to the theatre.  I'd like to think that I didn't go because it was too expensive, but know that I think about it (and I mean literally right now) it was that partying was more important.  If you don't purchase anything from the snack beer, even at the highest price, was still under $20/person.  I can easily spend upwards of $80 on a full night out with cabs and food.  So why was $20 an evening too much?  It wasn't.  It was the party.

Wow... It frustrates me somewhat to realize this and from this point on (actually last night walking home from Inception) I vow to use my resources for things like movies over drinks.  If I can blow more than $20 drinking shitty draft beer then I can certainly spend less than that at a movie.  Being at the Rio Theatre last night, sitting in the balcony with no one around and for only $10 I realized how much better it was.  I don't enjoy hangovers and I'm starting to not enjoy the person I can be when I'm drunk.  But what to do for enjoyment?  Well movies definitely fit the bill. 

Another part of the movie decision is to stay away from the big multiscreen theatres.  The Rio was cheaper and I walked both ways.  There are other "neighbourhood" theatres that are the same thing.  Plus one of the reasons I've been staying away is because I have a hard time with the fast moving special effects on the really big screens.  Everything becomes a blur and I can't follow it well.  With the neighbourhood theatres the screens are generally a bit smaller.  Plus everyone says we should support the community right?

So I take this solemn vow that once I am working again I will choose to catch a movie over catching a hangover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment