Tuesday, July 27, 2010

NIMBY

In recent conversations the concept of being a good person for the sake of being a good person has come up a few times.  In direct relation to the idea - if other people are assholes why do I have to be nice?  It's so easy to fall into that trap.  Especially if you're cranky, in a rush or late, in a crowd of people, and well I'm sure you can get the idea.  And take note that I am on of the first to say that I hate people, especially stupid people.  That doesn't mean that I should behave like those people though.

In some way I do believe in the idea of karma, but not "Secret" like stuff such as "imagine a Porsche and you will have one".  But that by doing good things for ourselves that energy will bring in more good things.  This is undoubtedly a hard to prove unless you look at it from the perspective of feeling good about yourself.  No matter how hard we try, what we "think" others feel about us is never as important as how we feel about ourselves.  And if we do good things in our life to feel good about our actions and behaviours, that positivity will no doubt have some impact.  I believe that if you are happy or at least accepting and working on your self, than what happens to you has less of a negative impact.

No one can make us feel anything.  We feel those things because of our perception of the situation.  Our perception is built on a number of things, past experiences, knowledge of the other person(s), and our emotional state at the time.  I get frustrated when I'm in the stores and dealing with the stupid people as I mentioned before.  But if I'm in a good place it's much much easier to deal with them.  You don't have to react or acknowledge the situation unless you are directly involved or it concerns some ones safety. 
**this does not imply that everyone around you should be ignored completely, a certain level of awareness is required at all times to function as a reasonable, respectful individual**

Which brings me back to being good.  So what if the person cut in front of you when you waiting in the rain for the bus.  Being a good person means being a good person no matter what.  I will admit that I have had my fair share of lashings out when I've been in a pissy mood or just plain aggravated.  But I do strive to be a "good person" most of the time.  I know how it feels to be treated poorly because someones an asshole and I also know what it sounds like to hear someone behave like that asshole.  There's no point.  The energy required to behave in such a way is wasted.  And as studies have proved a calmer state of being and not being stressed through anxiety will feel better over all.  Physically better.  Which will in turn keep you happy because you won't be feeling like shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment