Sunday, July 4, 2010

Too big to wrap my head around..

I often wonder what I would be doing had I truly applied myself in school...  Would I be in the sciences?  Most likely yes.  I have always had an interest in the many facets of science and I think if I had put more effort in I would have ended up there.  Most likely not a rocket scientist but something.  Space and the ocean have always had a pull on me.  I can't even begin to count how many various documentaries and shows I've seen from the unknown depths of the sea to the furthest known reaches of the galaxy.  My subscription to Discover gives me even further opportunities to feed this desire.  And that's where I run into a problem...

My brain hurts when I try and understand how big the known universe is.  Watching programs about space (and no not my geek/nerd series - documentaries) seems to provide me with a clearer understanding of the sheer size of the universe whereas the magazine articles send my brain spinning so quickly that I actually have to work at bringing myself back to the solid ground.  And when I start thinking about how big the universe is, the following is usually what happens...

Wow... so if we are *this* small and the universe has that many possibilities then logic says that there are other things out there, but we are really complicated (or so we think) so if we are here the way we are then how is whoever is out there, there for the way THEY are?  And just how did we get here anyways, changing from nothing to something over how many thousands of years, if it takes that many thousands of years then how old is the universe and if the universe is that old...

I think you may be able to see how easy it is for things to spiral out of control in my head.  Maybe my nerd series is a way for me to explore the reaches in a way that doesn't get out of hand.  Well except for my little obsessions...

No comments:

Post a Comment