Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The (not so good) $1 Menu

I recently purchased an item I normally wouldn't due to cash flow issues.  I have been using a more expensive version for awhile and noticed it really did work better.  So today's topic are things I believe truly are "You get what you pay for"  And to begin, the item I am referring to in the first sentence.

Kitty Litter
 - The $20 container vs $10 container is a huge difference.  In smell, ease of scooping and how long it lasts before you have to switch all of it out.

Draft Beer
 - Unless the place is crazy successful or it's a one off thing there's now way the cheapest draft beer will be the best.  And I'd be willing to add beer in general.  It's not just about taste but the side-effects.  Cheap draft beer will always leave you feeling worse than not so ghetto beer.

Candles
 - I've tried to avoid buying $1 store tea-light candles for a while now.  Besides them burning for only half the amount of time as regular priced candles, I've had them "burn" through the little 'dishes' they are in.  The wax went everywhere, lovely.

Keyboards
 - I went for the cheapest keyboard I could find when mine suffered some liquid damage (yeah ok it was beer, but not mine!) and I hated it.  I didn't even want to go on the computer which was shocking simply because of they keyboard.  Sucked it up and got one only $10 more than the first but the difference was astonishing.  Though the first one had a volume control on it which I miss.

Lint Sticky Roller Refills
 - While I do use the cheaper ones I can find at the $1 store I have had very bad experiences with some of them.  Given the choice I would definitely pick the name brand.

Freezer Bags/Saran Wrap
 - Try as I might to save money on these things it really is the brand name versions that do the trick.

Burnable Media (DVDs & CDs)
 - You can usually find really good deals on burnable discs but they should be a brand name of sorts.  At least one you recognize.  I once purchased 100 CD's for the price of 30 in Futureshop and they were garbage.  By the time I had gone through them I realized it would have been more effective if I had purchased the brand name ones in the first place.  Seeing as I bought them one off when I had something really important to burn and didn't want to take the risk.

Jewellery
 - Yeah it would be nice to have real silver, gemstones, gold... take your pic.  But you can't always get what you want, you can try however,  to have a temporary fix with the cheapo stuff but don't expect it to last for too long.

As you can see I have purposefully left food items on here as I think it deserves a mention of it's own.  At the same time there are food items I prefer the store brand of, but again for a different time.  I'm sure there are things that I will think of later so there's a chance another list will come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment